Saudi-led forces kill scores of people in clashes with Houthi rebels
DHAKA, Bangladesh — Dozens of people have been killed in fighting between Saudi-backed Houthi fighters and Yemeni security forces in a war zone south of the Saudi capital Dhaka, activists said Sunday.
The activists, all of whom spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to brief the media, said at least 16 people had been killed and hundreds wounded in clashes between Yemeni security and Houthi forces in the city of Dhaka.
They said dozens of people had also been arrested.
The clashes erupted Saturday in a densely populated area of Dhakarab province.
“There are no more casualties yet, but many people have died and many more are wounded,” said one activist who lives in the town of Dhabna, about 200 kilometers (125 miles) south of Dhahran.
The violence erupted in the northwestern region of Dharakab, a stronghold of the Houthi insurgency, and has resulted in a heavy toll of casualties, according to activists and residents.
A Saudi-allied coalition, which has been pounding Yemen since March 2015, said Sunday it had killed more than 100 Houthi members in the war-torn country.
The coalition has launched air strikes and special operations in the last two months in a bid to halt the Houthis advance and to restore power to the government of President Abdrabbuh Mansour Hadi.
It said the air campaign also has destroyed hundreds of weapons caches, destroyed thousands of Houthi vehicles and has destroyed or disabled hundreds of the country’s main power plants.
Yemen has seen more than two years of fighting between the Houths and the Saudi-supported government of Hadi, which was toppled in a Saudi-brokered deal in March 2017.